by The Natures Farmacy
Gingivitis is the initial stage of gum disease. Which is usually caused when bacteria builds up in your gum. It is easier to treat at the early stage. This is because the bone and the connective tissues are not yet infected yet. When left untreated, gingivitis can cause severe irritation, swelling and redness of the gum. The truth is that if you brush your teeth regularly, you are save from this disease. Although I see no reason why a normal human being wouldn’t brush their teeth. The symptoms accompanied with gingivitis are swollen gums, bleeding around the gum, inflammation in gums and receding gums. The good news is that gingivitis can be cured with home remedies if identified earlier. Below are my home remedies for gingivitis.
Use Salt to Get Rid of Gingivitis
At first sign of gingivitis, rush down to your kitchen and prepare a diluted solution of salt. Swish you mouth this solution. Why is salt so important? Salts make it impossible for the bacteria to survive, it does this by changing the pH level. When used to swish the mouth, salt can be soothing. Thus helps reduce the swelling accompanied with Gingivitis.
Or you can make a paste by adding a few drops of mustard oil into 1/2 tsp of salt. Apply the paste on your gum and leave for about 3 minutes. Its now time to wash your mouth with warm water. Do this 3 times daily.
Learn Oil Pulling to Treat Gingivitis
The first day I heard about oil pulling, I thought it was some kind of wellness ritual. I never knew its was as simple as swishing a teaspoon of oil in your mouth. It will amaze you to know that this simple practice holds immense health benefits. It helps rid the mouth of bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microbes. The interesting thing is that, it helps make your oral health lot better.
- 1 -2 tbsp Coconut or sesame oil
- 1-2 cup Warm water
Use Baking Soda to Cure Gingivitis
Baking soda is one product that can never lack in my house. I use it for so many things, ranging from cleaning, facial mask and along side with other home remedies. Baking soda helps balance the mouth pH, making it unfavorable for any bacteria to thrive.
- ¼ – Baking soda
- Warm water
Use Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Gingivitis
There are several claims that lemon juice is used in the treatment of Gingivitis. I believe this is because of it high vitamin C content and anti-inflammatory property
- 1 medium Lemon
- 1 glass of Warm water
Clove Oil to Get Rid of Gingivitis
The use of Clove Oil for the treatment of oral infections is as old as the hills. Clove oil has antibacterial and analgesic property, which is well suited for bacterial infections. It also serves a remedy for toothache.
- Few drops Clove oil
- Cotton Swab
Aloe Vera to Treat Gingivitis at Home
I grow Aloe Vera in my backyard. I have so much gotten used to it that I can’t imagine a life without Aloe Vera. Aloe vera used in various beauty remedies. It’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory – and used in the treatment of Gingivitis.
- Aloe vera gel
Rub Tea Tree to Oil to Cure Gingivitis
Tea tree oil is a miracle oil and severs several purposes. My sister used it to treat her acne. It owes its healing ability to its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. But before using tea tree on your skin or gum, make sure it’s well diluted, to avoid irritation. Since you are using on your gum, feel free to dilute it with your regular toothpaste.
- 2 drops Tea tree oil
- Tooth paste
Sage is a Herbal Remedy for Gingivitis
An herbalist friend of mine uses sage and peppermint to treat gingivitis. They are both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. They help in reducing gum swelling and killing the bacteria responsible for Gingivitis.
- 1 tsp of Sage herb
- 1 cup od Water
Use Guava Leaves to Treat Gingivitis
It will surprise you to know that Guava leaves are potent in treating Gingivitis. They are an excellent source of guaijaverin, an anti plaque agent. Guava leave also helps in treating gingivitis.
- 5 Guava leaves
- 2 cups Water
Or you can chew clean guava leaves for a few minutes. Spit it out and rinse mouth with warm water. Or crush guava leaves and rub the resulting paste on the inflamed gum.
Turmeric can Cure Gingivitis
Turmeric contains an active component known as curcumin. Curcumin is a well known anti-inflammatory agent and has powerful antioxidant effect. To use turmeric for gingivitis, make a herbal tooth powder using turmeric as the major ingredients.
- 4 tsp Turmeric
- 8 tsp of Neem powder
- ¼ tsp Alum powder
- ¼ tsp salt
Now, you have all the remedies there is for gingivitis. All these remedies don’t take away the fact that you have to care for your dental hygiene. It easier to reverse gingivitis at an early stage, even without home remedies. There are few common practice you can do.
- Start by using dental floss before brushing your teeth. Doing this helps loosen any dirt that are between your teeth.
- Now, rinse your mouth with mouth wash. Do this before you brush your teeth. I have found that using mouth wash after brushing your teeth, removes the fluoride. This is not a good thing, because fluoride helps resist the acid attack, that leads to decay.
- Its now time to brush your teeth all the way up to your gum.
- Rinse your mouth properly with warm water.
Here are some tips to prevent gingivitis.
- Brush your Teeth Daily
- Don’t forget to Floss Everyday
- See your Dentist Regularly
- Use proper Mouthwash Daily
Some Other Tips to Prevent Gingivitis
- Most people never change their toothbrush till its completely damaged. I must say, this is a risky thing to do, because the brush loses its effectiveness overtime. The brush is meant to be changed once every three months
- Smoking is dangerous for your teeth and gums, because it affects your blood flow. When there is inadequate blood flow, it leads to low nutrition to the gums and can cause severe damage sometimes
- Increasing your intake of fruits and vegetable can not only improve your health but also promote great oral health. These foods provide the body with adequate antioxidants, that helps fight free radical damage.
- Foods rich in vitamin C are also encouraged. Theses food helps prevent gum disease and promote dental health.
- Sugary foods are the number one enemy of dental cavity. They are acidic, which promotes the growth of bacterial in your mouth. They most times leads to severe tooth decay.