Our chakras are funnel-shaped spinning energy vortexes of multicolored light. The term “chakra” comes from the Sanskrit word meaning wheel or disc.
A chakra is like a whirling, vortex like, powerhouse of energy. Within our bodies you have seven of these major energy centers and many more minor ones.
They are charged and recharged through contact with the stream of cosmic energy in the atmosphere in much the same way that your home is connected to a central power source within a city.
Sometimes chakras become blocked because of stress, emotional or physical problems. If the body’s ‘energy system’ cannot flow freely it is likely that problems will occur. The consequence of irregular energy flow may result in physical illness and discomfort or a sense of being mentally and emotionally out of balance.
1st Chakra- Root
Its color is red and it is located at the perineum, base of your spine. It is the Chakra closest to the earth. Its function is concerned with earthly grounding and physical survival. This Chakra is associated with your legs, feet, bones, large intestine and adrenal glands. It controls your fight or flight response. Blockage may manifest as paranoia, fear, procrastination and defensiveness.
2nd Chakra – Sacral
Its color is orange and it is located between the base of your spine and your navel. It is associated with your lower abdomen, kidneys, bladder, circulatory system and your reproductive organs and glands. It is concerned with emotion. This chakra represents desire, pleasure, sexuality, procreation and creativity. Blockage may manifests as emotional problems, compulsive or obsessive behavior and sexual guilt.
3rd Chakra – Solar Plexus
Its color is yellow and is located a few inches above the navel in the solar plexus area. This chakra is concerned with your digestive system, muscles, pancreas and adrenals. It is the seat of your emotional life. Feelings of personal power, laughter, joy and anger are associated with this center. Your sensitivity, ambition and ability to achieve are stored here. Blockage may manifest as anger, frustration, lack of direction or a sense of victimization.
4th Chakra – Heart
Its color is green and it is located within your heart. It is the center of love, compassion, harmony and peace. The Asians say that this is the house of the soul. This Chakra is Associate with your lungs, heart, arms hands and thymus gland. We fall in love through our heart Chakra, then that feeling of unconditional love moves to the emotional center commonly known as the solar plexus. After that it moves into the sexual center or Base Chakra where strong feelings of attraction can be released. When these energies move into the Base Chakra we may have the desire to marry and settle down. Blockage can show itself as immune system, lung and heart problems, or manifest as inhumanity, lack of compassion or unprincipled behavior.
5th Chakra – Throat
Its color is blue or turquoise and is located within the throat. It is the Chakra of communication, creativity, self-expression and judgment. It is associated with your Neck, shoulders, arms, hands, thyroid and parathyroid glands. It is concerned with the senses of inner and outer hearing, the synthesizing of ideas, healing, transformation and purification. Blockage can show up as creative blocks, dishonesty or general problems in communicating ones needs to others.
6th Chakra – Third Eye/Brow
Its color is Indigo. It is located at the center of your forehead at eye level or slightly above. This Chakra is used to question the spiritual nature of our life. It is the Chakra of question, perception and knowing. It is concerned with inner vision, intuition and wisdom. Your dreams for this life and recollections of other lifetimes are held in this Chakra. Blockage may manifest as problems like lack of foresight, mental rigidity, ‘selective’ memory and depression.
7th Chakra – Crown
Its color is violet and is located at the top of your head. It is associated with the cerebral cortex, central nervous system and the pituitary gland it is concerned with information, understanding, acceptance and bliss. It is said to be your own place of connection to God, the Chakra of Divine purpose and personal destiny. Blockage can manifest as psychological problems.
Methods of Chakra Balancing
1. Physical Exercise – The physical exercises suggested for each chakra are largely based on yoga movements.
2. Crystal Healing – The chakras resonate at different frequencies which are associated with different colors. Crystals work on the same principle. Crystals help you tap into your natural self-healing abilities, promoting optimum physical, mental and spiritual well-being. All you need to do to unlock this vibrational healing potential is to focus your mental energy on crystals positioned on or near the relevant chakra. Through the power of intention, the appropriate healing in energy is channelled through the crystal. This energy becomes amplified through the unique molecular structure of natural crystals and helps to simulate, balance or relax the chakra frequencies.
3. Meditation – Meditation offers the rare opportunity to be still and silent and able to hear that inner wisdom and intuition. When the mind is calm you can sense where physical pain originates and “feel” where a particular chakra might be out of balance.
4. Daily Questions – Knowledge is power. The more we understand ourselves the better we are to make positive changes in our lives. The questions that relate to each chakra’s life challenge will help you pick the ways in which you sabotage your happiness and well-being. They will also help you to determine how to bring about those physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual changes which will assist the more effective functioning of your chakras.
5. Affirmations – These positive sentences tell our brain that we are choosing to think differently about a particular life challenge. And, the more we speak and think these beneficial; optimistic messages to ourselves – the greater our chances of changing old, inappropriate, patterns of thought and behaviour which will aid in chakra balancing.
6. Aromatherapy – The essential oils of plants and flowers are used to heal, beatify, and boost emotional and spiritual well-being. These essences can assist in vibrational healing since they contain the energy of the plant which interacts with our own energy to simulate, subdue, or provide chakra balancing.
7. Healing Music – The vibrations of music interact with our energy. Modern Chakra takes a look at how healing music can be used to support your well being.