How to Make Naturally Fermented Pickled Beets
This recipe is for one jar of pickled beets (but can easily be doubled):
- 6 medium beets
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups water
- Optional Seasonings: mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves
- Wash and dry the beets.
- Poke the beets in several places, place on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours or until soft.
- Peel off the skin and chop into julienne type slices.
- Pack beets firmly into a very clean wide-mouth quart-sized canning jar.
- Make a brine of sea salt dissolved in water.
- Pour the brine over the beets until the liquid is 1 1/2 inches from the top of the jar. The beets need to be submerged in brine.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.
FREE subscription to Receive Quality Stories Straight in your Inbox by submitting your Email below
Email privacy 100% protected. Unsubscribe at any time.