Sponsored LinksYou might not have heard about this ancient Japanese art yet, therefore we feel obliged to introduce you to it and to the amazing health benefits that it has on one’s body and mind.
This Japanese art is called Jin Shin Jyutsu and the meaning of these three words is as follows:
“Jin” means the highest virtue to be expressed by men, being the essence of humanity, in short: compassion, karuna and love, maitri.
“Shin” has different meanings. It can be translated as “wonderful effect”. We cannot comprehend this with our intellect and knowledge, we cannot understand how JSJ works, and we do not understand why it works. Our heart is beating, blood is circulating, it breathes, which is the ability and the functioning of the universe, the Divine itself.
“Jyutsu” translates as “path” and means “art” or “method”, also “knowledge”.
(Nakagawa, F. S., &Wecker, R., Zen ZentrumEisenbuch)
In her article called “Powerful 5-Minute Hand Exercise for Instant Energy Boost & Emotional Balance”, Myles explains what this Japanese art is about:
“Jin Shin Jyutsu is an ancient Japanese art, philosophy and a powerful alternative health practice.It harmonizes the life energy in the body, which promotes physical, spiritual, mental and emotional health.”
(Myles, A., Elephant Journal)
Here’s how to perform the healing hand exercise:
- This Japanese method operates under the belief that each finger is connected to different organs, emotions and attitudes.
- First, find the finger on which you want to work and do the following:
- Hold the finger with the opposite hand wrapping all the fingers and thumb around the particular finger being worked on. Inhale and exhale deeply.
- While letting go of the emotional or physical tension, imagine the energy draining out of the fingers and into the earth.
- As energy channels run through the fingers and correlate with specific emotions or organs, the energy will begin to disperse as the exercise is practiced.
- For a full body balance and harmonization repeat the exercise on every finger and hold the pressure for a little longer.
Emotions/attitudes: anxiety, depression, stress, emotional pain, sadness, and worry
Physical symptoms: stomach issues, skin conditions, headaches, nervousness
- Index Finger
Emotions/attitudes: frustration, fear, terror, and mental confusion
Physical symptoms: upper arm discomfort, elbow, wrist, muscle and back aches, toothaches and gum issues, addictions of any kind, digestive problems.
- Middle Finger
Emotions/attitudes: indecisiveness, anger, irritability, rage, resentment, relationships
Physical symptoms: circulation problems, menstrual cramps, eye/vision problems, fatigue, migraine, frontal headaches
- Ring Finger
Emotions/attitudes: negativity, sadness, fear of rejection, grief,anxiety, preoccupation, and worry
Physical symptoms: digestive problems, ringing in the ears, respiratory issues like asthma, deep skin conditions
- Little Finger
Emotions/attitudes: insecurity, nervousness, judgmental, low self-esteem
Physical symptoms: blood pressure, heart conditions, sore throat, bloating, bone and nerve problems
In conclusion, here are some of the benefits of Jin Shin Jyutsu:
– Promotes pain relief;induces relaxation; reduces the effects of stress; enhances sleep; decreases anxiety; increases circulation; improves concentration; reduces fatigue; enhances the immune system; improves the condition of skin; promotes regeneration; improves circulation and breathing; detoxifies.
Nakagawa, F., S., &Wecker, R. (n.d.). Jin Shin Jyutsu and Meditation. Retrieved June 14, 2015, from Zen
Myles, A. (2015, February 22). Powerful 5-Minute Hand Exercise for Instant Energy Boost & Emotional Balance. Retrieved June 14, 2015, from Elephant Journal http://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/02/powerful-5-minute-hand-exercise-for-instant-energy-boost-emotional-balance/