This comes under the umbrella of “Din Charya (Day to day Routine)”. Over a period of time certain activities of Din Charya are set aside from our lifestyle gradually, but their importance is still the same. The foot massage “Pada Abhyangam” is one of the techniques.
We will focus on the simple practices that can be instilled in our daily routine, though there are many techniques and manipulations in foot massage. We can use homemade ghee (clarified butter), Cow’s ghee, olive oil, sesame oil, mustard oil, coconut oil or any other relaxation oil. Using Cow ghee is considered for the best alternative.
- Use few drops of selected oil/ghee and rub it on your feet.
- The surface of a small metallic bowl can be used to rub it gently on your feet. The “bell metal” is the best choice according to some classical texts.
- Rub it gently in both directions for 2-10 minutes on both feet. Then wash your feet with warm water.
- You can do it anytime of the day, but it works best just before sleeping at night.
Benefits of this massage:
- Alleviates anxiety
- Induces state of relaxation
- Brings sound sleep
- Releases stress and tension
- Improves blood circulation
- Rejuvenates the whole body
- Improves digestion
- Eradicates pain
- Improves Eye sight
- Restores youth and vitality
- Develops Vigor
- Nourishes hair follicles
These are just few benefits. Also you can threat many ailments. Depending on the complaints you can use many various oils and techniques used for massage. Consult your Ayurveda specialist if you have any ailments, or start practicing the technique in order to avail the above benefits and stay away from diseases.